History Engine & Hose Company No. 4
“The Mutual Protective Association of South Glen Cove”
In the early days of 1900, a group of citizens owning property and residing in the area of the Town of Oyster Bay, south of the unincorporated village of Glen Cove, and outside of its fire district, recognized the need of such fire protection and decided to establish an organization to cover this need. These citizens chiefly resided in an area of south Glen Cove called Thompson Park.
http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e4-6709-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99
At a meeting held on June 6, 1914 at the home of Mr. Ed Donaldson of Thompson Park, Glen Cove, an organization was formed called “The Mutual Protective Association of South Glen Cove”. A committee was formed to draw up a Constitution and By-laws, and a letter was drafted and sent to the Board of Fire Commissioners of Glen Cove. This letter was drafted to inform the commissioners of the existence of the organization, requesting there cooperation and offering to cooperate with the Board and the Glen Cove Fire Department.
On June 13th, a Constitution was adopted and the first officers elected. A Mr. J.H.Teves was elected the first presi- dent but never presided at a meeting and resigned shortly after from the organization. The first record of the Consti- tution and By-Laws is found in the secretary’s record that begins with the meeting of November 13, 1915. The elected officers of the company were A President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and a Captain. The Captain appointed a First, Second and Third Lieutenant of the Company.
On June 22nd at a meeting held in the home of Mr. E. Donaldson, at which time the organization was offered by Mr. Donaldson the use of a hand-drawn cart to serve as the first fire truck. This “truck” contained a ladder, hose basket, hose and other pieces of fire fighting equipment. Also at this meeting the first financial and membership drive was instituted. The Fire Equipment Committee reported the following:
“A building suitable for housing the equipment that is proposed to be maintained can be erected at a cost of $225.00 as per figures furnished by a reliable builder. This building is to be made of corrugated galvanized iron sheets upon a substantial wooden frame work. If it should develop that the wooded floor can be dispensed with the cost will be reduced by about $40.00. A good quality of 2 1/2” hose entirely suited to the requirements can be obtained at .50 cents per foot. Nozzles and wrenches would cost almost $25.00. Helmets at $4.00 each. (We understand the helmets would be very valuable under certain conditions)
Brian Evans—Chairman
At a meeting held on July 14th, a letter from the Board of Fire Commissioners was received granting the request of the organization and setting down certain conditions. These conditions were mainly that the “Association” would be under the direct charge of the Glen Cove Fire Department and subject to all the rules and regulations. The association was to be known as “Auxiliary Company #4 of the Glen Cove Fire Department”. The first elected members, Mr. Ed Wansor and Mr. Tim Carrol were accepted at this meeting.
The construction of the building described in the above report was begun on property donated by Mr. Donaldson. This property was situated to the north of his property in Thompson Park and at the end of Crestline Avenue. (Crestline Ave. is now known as Donahue Street).
On September 1st a meeting was held at the home of Mr. Kosmeyer. At this meeting it was announced that the hose and ladder truck had arrived and that the building would be completed the following Saturday, and then Auxiliary Company #4 would go into commission the following Sunday at noon. Also at this meeting the conditions set down by the Board were accepted. A communication was received from the Board regarding the marking of the apparatus and the calling of the company by four short blasts of the whistle. (Located on top of the Ledew’s Leather Works).
The first meeting of the company was held by #4 in its new house on October 6, 1914. This was the beginning of a drive which would eventually swell its membership to between 60 and 70 members. On November 3, 1915 the membership numbered 89 strong.
On November 3rd at a meeting in the new house it was reported the installation of the new fire signal. It consisted of an iron triangle hung on an outrigger in front of the house. At this meeting the company bought 350 ft. of used hose at 15 cents a foot, and also the election among others of Mr. Harold Mason, who was destined to be one of the future mayors of Glen Cove.
From November on through the winter the meetings were held at the Schmitz Hotel on the corner of Glen Cove Ave. and Sea Cliff Ave. The lack of a heating plant was the main reason for this move.
The first parade the company participated in was held in Glen Cove on July 5th, 1914 in conjunction with a Chautaugua (whatever that was). The uniform was white duck pants, gray shirt, blue cap and black tie.
The first tournament attended by the company was held by the Sea Cliff Fire Company on August 21st, 1915. Company #4 as always made a fine showing. The report showed Jake Eggers won an umbrella for second prize in the ladder and Chas. Rochet a card case for seventh. The company won second place in the Hook & ladder contest.
Also in this month of August 1915, the first Annual Dance was organized by the company with Fred McGill as Chairman, Jack Languth, Chas. Pierman, Jake Eggers, Abraham Wansor, Chas. Rochet, among others on the committee.
The first officers were nominated and elected at a regular membership election on September 7, 1915. Those elected being:
Ed Donaldson – President
M.J. Donahue –Vice President
A.J.Hyde – Treasurer
A. Dalton – Secretary Ed. Donaldson – Captain
At a meeting held at the Schmitz Hotel on February 6, 1917, a motion was made that the company sent a letter to the Board of Fire Commissioners of Glen Cove requesting that the company become a regular part of the Glen Cove Fire Department and that the name of Auxiliary be dropped. The request was granted by the Board.
In July of 1917 the company moved into its new quarters. The new house was located in a building on Glen Cove Ave. next to the Schmitz Hotel. At the time of the opening Bryan Murray was Chief of the Department and Wm. McCahill was commissioner. The Company also put a large Hook & Ladder into service which was equipped with a towing arrangement for automobiles.
On July 4th, 1917 the company participated in a parade and drill held in Pratt Oval and won a silk American Flag presented by the commissioner.
During the years of the First World War, several members of the company served in the armed forces and a Roll in their Honor still hangs in the company room.
At the Board of Fire Commissioners meeting on December 22, 1917, a contract was signed to purchase a White motor apparatus for Company #4.
On March 15, 1918, a motion was made and approved that the offices of Foreman and Assistant Foreman be eliminated, and that the First and Second Assistant Captains be elected instead of appointed.
In March or 1919 an election of officers was held electing Henry Wansor Captain and others to the remaining offices, but the minutes conclude with the amusing report as follows:
“...and the new officers promised to discharge their duties to the best of their abilities, and last but not least, Comrade Pancoast arranged a very quenching beverage called “Tickle Tobey” and this closed the meeting.”
In April of 1924 the first mention of the new fire house was made in a report by then Captain Britt. This was to be the present house on West Glen Street. At this time it was discussed extensively the advisability of staying in South Glen Cove, but the Company decided to co-locate with the other three Companies.
On April 20, 1925 a farewell party to the old house was held and Company #4 with the other three
companies moved to its new quarters on West Glen Street where it has continued to serve the community until the present time.
At the company meeting on August 19, 1929, a vote was taken to purchase a Maxim or an Ahrens Fox. The company informed the commissioners that they did not want a tank on the truck.
At the July 20, 1931 meeting, the company approved a letter sent to the fire commissioners requesting a membership of 35 members, with any additional applicants being kept on a waiting list. This apparently was not granted, since the membership level remained at 30 until World War II. At this time the number of members was raised to 35 to fill the places of those off to war. The membership has remained at 35 since that time.
At the meeting on October 19, 1931 a standing order was given: “First truck lay a line, second truck hookup”
At the meeting of November 16, 1931, each member was asked to volunteer donations for sick members. This form of assistance would be taken when the Exempt Volunteer Fireman’s Association was established by the fire department and was funded by dues and 2% Foreign Tax Revenues.
In 1949 the company purchased a 750 GPM Ahrens Fox pumper. As with its predecessor, this truck did not have a booster tank.
In 1955, Fred Bond served the shortest term of captain when the department voted to change the term of office for Company officers from January to December to coincide with that of the department officers.
In 1960 the company purchased a 1000 GPM two stage Maxim pumper with a 350 gallon booster tank. Twenty-nine years later this truck remains in active service, having been refurbished in 1980. The Waukesha gasoline engine was replaced with a Cummings diesel and the standard transmission was replaced with an automatic. The cab top was also painted white.
In 1962 the company, along with the other three companies moved to the new and present headquarters. The building is located on one end of park property donated by the Pratt family to the city, and required a special act of legislation to allow park land to be used for this purpose.
In 1974 the company purchased a 1250 GPM single stage pumper from Ward LaFrance. This was the first truck to depart from the traditional all red finish, and had a white roof on the cab. This truck was also the first with a diesel engine and automatic transmission in use in the department.
In 1972 the membership was elevated to more than 35 as a result of legal action which resulted in each of the four companies having to admit all applicants on their waiting list up to and including the first black applicant. The companies were to reduce by attrition back to the 35 member level. Until this time, each company maintained its own waiting list. As a result of the legal action, and in order to guarantee every applicant an opportunity for membership in chronological order, a single waiting list was created.
In 1976, Ex-Chief George Gengarelly of Company #4, attained the highest position of a volunteer fireman when he became President of the Fireman’s Association State of New York State.
In 1994, Engine & Hose Company No. 4 took delivery of first time twin pumpers for the Glen Cove Volunteer Fire Department. These pumpers were designed and manufactured to be identical to increase the efficiency of firefighting from multiple pumpers. Tools, equipment, and mode of operation from the engines were identical so that firefighters and pump operators did not have to alter operations based on the apparatus.
Engine 528 is a 1994 Pierce Lance Custom Cab, 1750 GPM Pumper, 10 person crew cab, delivered April 1994, replacing a 1960 Maxim pumper. 528 is Pierce's 8000th pumper to roll off its assembly line, the twin of Engine 524.
Engine 524 is a 1994 Pierce Lance Custom Cab, 1750 GPM Pumper, 10 person crew cab, delivered in August 1994, replacing a 1972 Ward La France. This engine is the twin of Engine 528 built six months after. During delivery, just outside Chicago, 524 was rear ended by a garbage truck and had to be returned to Pierce Mfg. for repair. Chairperson Bob Citko was flown to Wisconsin to inspect the engine prior to accepting delivery. Truck Committee Chairperson B.Citko, A.Shakal, M.Maher, P.Peet, P.Lottes.
On April 25, 2012, the Nassau County Fire Commission held its Award Ceremony for the brave men and women of Nassau County Fire Departments who serve their communities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Each member of the Nassau County Fire Service is unpaid and serves their time for free without regard for their own personal life to help others. The three awards were presented to our members, who risked their lives to protect the life and the property of others. Ex-Chief & Ex-Captain of Co. No. 4 Patrick E. Peet and Chemical Captain Justin Valeo, were the recipients of the Gold Medal of Valor for Extraordinary Personal Risk. Ex-Captain of Co. No. 4 Alexander Shakal, was the recipient of the Silver Medal of Valor for Great Personal Risk.
Engine and Hose Company No. 4 celebrated it’s 100th anniversary in June 2014.